**The ’83 Drive v2.0 update**
- By popular demand the ’83 Drive v2.0 now features a TRS split function to use with pedal looper systems like the GigRig etc. The TRS split is enabled via three internal dip switches.
- To make room for the dip switches for the TRS split functionality, we have at the same time reduced the number of switching options for tweaking of the BB side (side A) compared to the v1. Side A now features a stock and an alternate setting for each of the two parameters: Hard-clipping and gain. And three settings for the soft clipping parameter.
Nordvang Custom ’83 Drive v2.0 is a dual overdrive guitar pedal and the ultimate tone machine, providing a variety of delicious tones. It can be used as an always on drive tone all the way to a mid boosting lead tone. Our take on the legendary K-style overdrive and the Black Box Bluesbreaker, it features two independent overdrives, giving you two classic drive sounds favored by many guitarists in one enclosure.
Our inspiration for the ’83 Drive came from our enthusiasm for each of the two pedals used alone and by how amazing they sounded when stacked.
Both pedals have played an important part in the live guitar tones of John Mayer through the years, as the pre drive he stacks into his TS10 to obtain his lead tone. We decided for ’83 Drive as the number “83” is a significant number to JM.
We have recreated the circuits staying true to the originals, but made the BB circuit true bypass with additional switching options for tweaking. We also increased the headroom to 18 Volts and added an additional gain stage to increase the output. We have kept the buffer in on the K-style side of the circuit.
The ’83 Drive is divided into a side A (left) and a side B (right), separated by the order toggle switch in the middle which flips the internal order of the effects and hence the signal path from guitar to amp.
Side A features the BB-style circuit with external knobs for GAIN, TONE, VOLUME and a three position toggle switch labeled LOWS. The lows switch changes the bass response of the circuit. Internally you find three dip switches (gain, soft clipping, hard clipping) that further enables you to tweak your tone.
The side B features the K-style circuit with external knobs for GAIN, TREBLE, OUTPUT and a two position toggle switch labeled CLIPPING. The clipping switch toggles between a pair of germanium or schottky clipping diodes.
Both sides can be used separately or stacked.
TRS split: Besides using the two sides of ’83 DRIVE in serial mode, either A->B or A<-B, the ’83 DRIVE V2.0 can split side A & B into separate effects. The two 1/4″ jacks, which in serial mode are used for signal in and out, will in split mode serve as IN+OUT for each side.
That is done via a – TRS to 2 x TS – 1/4 ” jack cable.
The right side “IN” jack is IN+OUT for side B. (TIP = in, RING = out)
The left side “OUT” jack is IN+OUT for side A. (TIP = out, RING = in)
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE EXTERNAL ORDER TOGGLE SWITCH MUST BE IN UP POSITION A <- B
Side A (left)
– Replica of the circuit of the first BB1 – Black Box Blues Breaker circuit.
– Op amp supply voltage increased to 18 Volt for more headroom.
– External three position lows toggle switch for extended low frequency response
– Three internal dip switches for extended tweaking
* Hard clipping (dip switch #2)
* Clean boost/overdrive – soft clipping ( dip switch #5 + #6)
* Gain: Low/high (dip witch #7)
– TRS split via dip switches (#1 + #3 + #4)
Side B (Right)
– Exact replica of the K-circuit.
– External two position Clipping switch to switch between a pair of Germanium – or a pair of Schottky clipping diodes in the overdrive gain stage.
– The germanium diodes we use are NOS original russian NOS D9B
External switch to choose in which order the signal passes through the two circuits.
The ’83 Drive is built using carefully selected top shelf components::
– VISHAY 1% metalfilm resistors
– WIMA MKP10, MKS4 and FKP2 film capacitors – no electrolytes in the audio circuit.
– VIMEX sealed potentiometers
– CARLING Footswitch
– TAIWAY toggle switches
– PURE TONE MULTI-CONTACT 1/4″ JACK
– Silver plated teflon insulated cable for internal wiring.
– US made DAVIES MOULDING 1470 knobs
5.72 in x 4.77 in x 1.39 in (145 mm x 121 mm x 35 mm)
The ’83 DRIVE requires a regulated 9-volt DC power supply with standard 2.1mm jack tip negative polarity.
The max power consumption of the is 100mA (+9VDC). If operated with a power supply with insufficient current
capabilities, it will affect the performance. So make sure your +9V-DC power supply is capable of delivering 100mA.
We recommend you to use a quality power supply with isolated outputs. The ’83 DRIVE V2.0 does not support battery operation.